• Discuss Pain and its general types, also strategies that can help patients cope with fear
• Describe the different anatomical landmarks for different local anesthetic injections
• Explain the mechanism of action of pain and of local anesthetics
• Discuss how different local anesthetics are used and which to choose in various clinical situations
• Differentiate between the different local anesthetics and vasoconstrictors
• What is the best local anesthetic to use in children who are immunocompromised
• Which vasoconstrictor is the best for the pregnant patient?
• How can I minimize pain for the patient when receiving a local anesthetic?
• How can I calculate the dose of local anesthetics to be given in dentistry?
• What are the complications of local anesthetics and how can I manage them?
• Is it better to use one or more local anesthetics during the same clinical session?
• What are the most recent advances of local anesthetics?
Professor Hani A. Salam is a Canadian- Lebanese oral and maxillofacial surgeon. University of Toronto in Ontario, Canada and obtained his PhD from McGill University, Montreal, Canada in 2001. His PhD focused on the use of electrical stimulation and low energy lasers to stimulate bone healing around dental implants.
Dr. Hani has been offering his services in the Middle East since 2004. He is a consultant oral and maxillofacial surgeon in Saudi Arabia and practices in UAE, and Lebanon as well. Dr. Hani has a unique advantage of combining North American maxillofacial surgical clinical training and academic and research oriented PhD from North America. He had 18 years university education and extensive surgical experience. Currently, he is a Professor and Program Director of the Postgraduate Oral Surgery and Implantology Program at Maktoum Bin Hamdan Dental University College in Dubai, UAE and a visiting Professor at Beirut Arab University.
He is also the Former Director of McGill University Continuing Dental Education in the Middle East & North Africa, a position he occupied between 2006 and 2011. Hani has published in peer-reviewed journals and is a frequent speaker at national and international conferences.